At Chapman-Black Funeral Home, Inc., we pride ourselves on providing quality products and dignified service at an affordable cost.
We understand that the emotional and financial burdens can be overwhelming, and our goal is to alleviate as much stress as possible during this time.
In 1920, a young man by the name of H. M. Chapman moved to Cleveland, Oklahoma. Accepting employment with the King Furniture and Undertaking Company (located where the Cleveland Tag Agency and Munding Insurance Agency are today), Mr. Chapman dedicated himself to providing compassionate and considerate funeral service. Shortly after his arrival in Cleveland he married Thelma Deuel, whose mother Zulu, operated the Merchants Hotel.
They purchased the undertaking establishment from J. S. King in 1927, thus creating the Chapman Funeral Home. For the next three years, they operated the funeral home in a home near the First Baptist Church at 110 South Dunlap. In 1930, the Chapman Funeral Home was moved to the Dr. E. T. Robinson building at 110 North Broadway. Located in this building for nearly twelve years, they purchased and moved to the Meyer and Wise buildings (100 South Broadway) in 1942. Hugh and Thelma raised all four of their children: Betty, Billie, Frank and H. M., II in Cleveland.
Upon graduation from the Chicago School of Embalming and his return from World War II, they hired Merle L. Black, Blackie as funeral director and embalmer. Merle had married their youngest daughter, Billie Lou Chapman in 1942. On May 28, 1949, the Chapman Funeral Home was relocated to its current location at 108 West Delaware with an open house to dedicate their new facility. During the next thirteen years, Hugh and Thelma with the assistance of Blackie and Billie, operated the funeral home and Clevelands ambulance service. Accustomed to working side by side with his wife, Mr. Chapman retired in 1962 after the death of Thelma, selling the funeral home to Merle and Billie Black.
The Blacks continued to operate the family owned business for over thirty three years. The name was changed to Chapman-Black Funeral Home in 1965 at which time the city took over the ambulance service. In 1980 their youngest son, Gene, a ten year Navy veteran began the third generation of the family in funeral service.
In 1996, a full service floral shop, Chapman-Black Floral Designs was added to extend our services to more fully meet the needs of our families.